The Door County Buy Local program is a grass-roots economic development initiative that seeks to strengthen local businesses, increase employment opportunities and educate the public about the importance of buying locally whenever possible.
In certain industry sectors, Door County loses a considerable amount of business to neighboring counties. For example, in the Electronics and Appliance Store category, although over $3.4 Million was spent in Door County in 2009, an additional $1.6 Million was spent outside the County. The Door County Buy Local program encourages Door County residents and business owners to purchase goods and services from their local providers whenever possible, to keep more money within our local economy.
“As we emerge from a recessionary economy,” said DCEDC Executive Director Bill Chaudoir, “every little bit that we can all do to help our local businesses is important. Buying locally as much as possible can only help our Door County companies survive and thrive.”
Impacts of Buying Local
- Green-Friendly Shopping locally reduces your gas consumption and pollution. Also, local stores help to sustain vibrant, walkable communities, reducing sprawl and the need for automobiles.
- Keeping Local Dollars in the Economy A 1% increase in spending in Door County would induce a total of $3.9 million in industry sales, 56 jobs and $2.3 Million in new personal income. See chart below.
- Local Character and Prosperity In an increasingly homogenized world, communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an advantage in offering quality of life and unique experiences.
- Friends and Neighbors Provide Better Service Local businesses are staffed by local residents, your friends and neighbors. You get better service from people you know and who know you. And, you can catch up on “what’s new” with other customers as you shop.
- Convenience Equals Savings Shopping locally saves you time and money. A shopping trip outside of our county costs you for every mile you drive, each way, and valuable time away from your home. Pocket the savings and treat your family to a night on the town (at a restaurant that serves local produce and ag products!)
An Increase of Just 1% in Local Purchases Gets You….
Rob Burke, Door County UW-Extension
(920) 746-2260 email@example.com